Monday, October 10, 2005

ONCE...coaching

Inspired by Rich Dad Poor Dad, I want to create a business system so that I don’t really have to work anymore. Financially free ! So, when I started as CTO, I wanted to create more 'ME'. Better 'ME's if possible. I’ve 3 staffs when we moved to TPM. As to create more ME, I guess the training should be the same as how I was trained. "You'll do everything !" From product specification, system design, coding, testing, progress reports, etc. I’ve made them the Product Owner, each one of them has their own product to be developed, nurtured and enhanced. It was based on the projects that we got. Regardless of their job titles, everybody has the chance to be a Project Manager. Project Manager that need to get customer requirements, prepare progress reports, customers acceptance documents, system design, programming, test plan, conduct training (is it too much to ask for..?) among others :-).

In 2004, I've got 2 additional staffs. Again, same method. Just that one guy (very talented, result-oriented and productive though) has bad attitude. Indirectly, I asked him to resign, which he did. The other one is fresh, but he got the harshest training and treatment (maybe because he’s my junior and younger than me). But I guess, that brings the best in him. No doubt that nobody can match his determination and dedication to work. Imagine this; went back to Tanjong Malim at 8pm, fetch the wife and kid and arrived at Cheras almost midnight. At 2am arrived at the office till next day ! Well, I didn't asked him to do that, but you know you have such a good people when they produce or dedicate their work like that.

In 2005, I've got another 3 people (it's 4-5 but they didn't last more than 3 months, one lady can only stand for one day!). Then again, same method. I saw some people are struggling with the method that I've implemented. But, in order to create more 'ME', I've to do it.

It’s very challenging to coach people. Tiring. Especially when the results doesn’t come as expected. Could it be that my expectation are too high ? Don’t I realized that people are different in nature ? I can’t expect everybody to think and behave like me ? All the time ? At this point in time, I’ve realized that my method is not working. My method was wrong…unfortunately it took me 3 years to realize it. But hey, no pain no gain eh ;-)

No comments: