Wednesday, November 23, 2005

ONCE...in the Office (1)

IT'S NOT MINE !

I was talking about the IT's NOT MINE mentality. Just now I found another classic example: the office's pantry ! It's full with all the mugs, spoons and plates. With water filling each and every space that it can contain. Will you have that in your own house ?! Of course NOT!

I'm guessing the thinking when they leave those stuff there.."aahh...we have makcik cleaner, she'll clean it up". And she's coming every 2 days, what happen before she came ? If any visitors (esp CLIENTS) come and we treat them lunch or dinner, and they wanna wash their hand and "euwww..! awful !".

..continue..."yeah..makcik cleaner not coming that often, but what the heck, it's the office (duh?!) nobody sleeps or stays here...it's only during office hours...and after all, it's not MY COMPANY!". errr..that reads "THE COMPANY DOESN'T BELONGS TO ME..I'M JUST WORKING HERE !". *sigh...*

WHAT WENT WRONG ?

"We've lost the other 2 tenders.", my partner informed me yesterday. The govt one, fair enough..lost it to the manufacturer. The club one, "we're the one that initiated the project with them. how come we lost it ?!". I'm clueless. The "ONE" big tender that we're eyeing after raya lost because we are using 256 kbps line while the one that got it is using 2 Mbps dedicated broadband (the story is definitely different if we are the one that has the 2 Mbps line). Then, these 2 tenders some more ? "What went wrong ?!".

Everybody is working hard or rather seems to work hard. I can see that they're running here and there. But then, looking at the facts, from their reports..it's clearly NOT ENOUGH ! Very little activities, not extensive and rigorous planning, no long-term and detail planning. Why other people can do it ? Why their people keep getting the deals ? Why can't we have high productivity and high quality results ? Being an employee, people said "The management/company need to provide condusive workplace, motivating environment, flexi-hours, freedom and spaces to be more creative in delivering,..." among others.

What shall we do when after all that are provided, the results doesn't materialize ?! My expectations wasn't met ?! I would LOVE it if I have the luvury to use Donald Trumph's favourite word! But, is that the solution ?! We might end up losing than benefiting from that. But why can't they think on their own on how to improve their work ? How to initiate, be proactive ? "Hmm...i'm think i'm idle, no new assignment yet...maybe i should ask the manager for new assignment..rather than just browsing the net about the local artiste or watching movies...i must earn every RM of my salary rightfully.." Can't we think like that ?

I was an employee once...(hmm...nice topic...), but I don't have that kind of mentality (by the time I'm thinking that I might start having that mentality, I'm here already :-) my own company !). Guess...shouldn't expect much...people are different...can't expect them to be like me, right ? (WHY WOULD I NEED TO CONSOLE MYSELF WITH THIS STATEMENT ?!!!) With that consolation statement...and people agree with it...we are not going to go far in whatever things we are doing.

Based on my readings,
  • Hardwork

  • Sacrifices

  • Pro-active

  • Preservarence

  • Desire to excel

  • are among the KEY elements that made the successful people, SUCCESSFUL !

    "bukan senang nak senang bro..."

    No comments: