Monday, December 12, 2005

ONCE...Leadership in Crisis Management

It's the first Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad Lecture Series by UNITEN. It'll be an annual program but not necessarily Tun will be speaking. Just the series bares his name. Tun's lecture was very enlightening, resourceful and practical as it comes from his very own experiences especially in managing Financial Crisis 1997-98. Among the best part was, his "unpublished remarks" on the culprits (read: George Soros and COLB).

First, Tun defines that Leaders must:

   1. Have vast knowledge
   2. Able to think
   3. Able to calculate the risk on its own
   4. Able to decide

Tun also defines that "Leaders is someone who is able to decide on bitter path. If someone who claim the leadership position, but just follow the path set before, he is not a leader. He is a follower. Leaders must be able to decide, even if it is a bitter path." I tried to read between the line if he tried to mention someone..but then I take it as general.

During crisis, Tun explained that Leaders must:

   1. Able to identify the crisis - always examine the data, in detail to get the pattern so that able to predict or forecast any potential crisis coming. Studying the graph and charts !
   2. Study in detail about the crisis - why it happen ? who's behind it ? what is the impact currently ? what would be the impact later ? what are the options to solve it ? etc...In great detail !
   3. Use his/her knowledge and experiences to gauge each data to analyse and to decide on the best solution
   4. There is NO PERFECT DECISION ! Every decision made will have its pro's and con's. Whatever it is, decision has to be made ! Fast !!! Leaders can't wait for a perfect solution because there won't be any.

There's a question from the floor asking his experiences in "bad decision" as what he had shared with us are mostly (all actually) "good decision". Tun said "I regret saying I also make some bad decision" that made the hall full with laughter. Of course, we can't really recall our bad decision because when we analyse our own performance, normally the good results or decisions pop-up. "I'm a good person so I guess I'm doing okey". Tun continued with some people did claim his decision as "bad decision" for the mega-projects such as Penang Bridge, KLCC, Putrajaya and PLUS. For this "...maybe we are doing okey without Putrajaya. Without komuter we are okey, just that we don't travel. Tourist don't need to come here to strain their neck to see that tall building, we also don't need to strain our neck. But then, they do come here to strain their neck. Perhaps, we don't need North-South highway, so people don't go back for Raya and there will be less accident". Master or Sarcastism !!! And I've been referred to be one as well...and I'm no longer feel embarrased since I know Tun is the Master ! And again, Tun's remark got full laughter from the floor.

A guy asked Tun whether he could persuade Tun Tan Cheng Eu to speak on the event as he has been very quiet since his retirement. I would say I was fortunate because I was in Penang for MDC's Conference during MSC IAP Meeting. Saturday (10th Sept 2005) there was Penang Lecture Series and Tun Tan was speaking. He's already 82 (if I can remember correctly), so his introduction was quite long about Penang's past. Tun also mentioned that Tun Tan was the man that started the industrialization in Malaysia starting from Penang. The lecture was about Penang: Past, Present and Future (hope I'm right with the title, if not the lecture was about those). Guess what..? He's also have a great sense of sarcastic remarks. One questions about his views on tourism, "...we don't have to invest in tourism. We need to spend money to serve people." Tun Tan believes it is better to spend on high growth technology production or manufacturing. Again about his views on brain drain in Penang, "...we don't have to get those Penangites back here. Penangites serve the world ! (there are few CEOs in Silicon Valley from Penang, top-guns in high-tech industries as well). We have all the technologies like video conferencing, mobile communication, etc. we don't need them to be here. They can contribute from where they are. We just need to utilize or come-up with new technology to enable this." Very proud of Penangites and high-tech enthusiast I would say.

Tun mentioned that Tun Tan can still be approached but he prefers to lay low. He can be approached for consultancy and advice but not on lecturing or speaking like what Tun did today (standing for 2 hours). Which I agree with Tun. My friend who organized the Penang Lecture said "...it was not easy to convince Tun Tan to speak for that day." I thank God for that opportunity because otherwise I wouldn't know who is Tun Tan Cheng Eu.

And for today, I thank God again and I'm glad that I came. Because initially I was contemplating whether to go to the lecture or go to office and finish my work. And honey, this is the third time (as far as I can remember), that I'm glad that I came for the event/meeting. And as I can recall, the reason was always "MALAS! (lazy, complacent)" for don't know what reason. Never really thought thru about it.

As Tun & the VIPs made their way out, the crowd were hogging the lane, to shake hand with him or take pictures or just simply want to see him in-person. Also some asked for his autograph. It's very inspiring to see such great leader still healthy and strong so that he can share his knowledge and experiences for the benefits of this country. My eagerness level to see Tun's memoirs has tripled since then!

No comments: