Thursday, December 01, 2005

ONCE...office reform (0)

After few days of thinking, strategizing and planning, I've decided to do the following in reforming my unit:

1. Work closely with TM to lead, guide and assist him on ways to better manage the team.
2. Me taking up the role of Chief Architect (just like Bill !)
3. Enforcing the new structure
4. Plan, decide, write and announce the SOP and Performance Indicator for everybody

Yesterday, I've briefed TM and then spend the rest of the day with every single team member on their assignments. At any one time, the AD member may only have ONE AD assignment. Thus, concentrated on one assignment in lesser time. They will also be managing projects, but PM is not a full-day job as other people will involve in implementing the project. The PM would need to make sure everybody is gearing towards delivering the task ON TIME, WITHIN BUDGET and does not EXCEED SCOPE. As for Dev, same thing; ONE development assignment at any ONE time.

So, these were the things decided yesterday:

1. AD#1 was released from the MGS development work so that she can concentrate on preparing the report, chasing the govt agency(s) approval, and to concentrate more on AS issues. She's also will be managing NL project. Her AD assg is ePurS v2.0 (which include site study and survey at AS & SBS) till end Dec.
2. AD#2 will continue on PNK, IGM and MyI projects. Her AD assg is IGM AES & Portal, followed with MPS and PRS till end Dec
3. Dev#1 on MyI and NL till mid Dec. New assg will be given after he complete the tasks.
4. Dev#2 on PNK then MGS till mid Dec. After that continue on IGM Portal Integration till end Dec.
5. Dev#3 on IGM AES and Portal till mid Dec. New assg will be given after he complete the tasks.
6. Prg001 on BIS and MGS till mid Dec. He also will be working on re-engineering AS's terminal before end of 2005.

The briefing went good even though initially there's some resistance from AD#1. She want to learn that new language, but...I guess the quote below could explain it better (I just can't find the author of this quote, I know I find it in one of my books, but then which page ?!! this quote is definitely NOT invented by me, so please...don't sue me)

I CARE MORE ABOUT THE SUCCESS OF MY PEOPLE THAN I DO MY FUTURE, BUT I CARE MORE ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION ACCOMPLISHING IT MISSION THAN EITHER ONE


One very important thing that I need to CONSISTENTLY do is to really enforce, guide and monitor them closely. Make sure i get the productivity and quality level that i want. Who else can I expect to do that isn't it ? One way to measure my performance (that I really enforce, guide and monitor closely) is from my weekly (if not daily) post on the progress. Assuming the whole world is watching the progress, I need to make sure that I won't screw up !

No comments: