Friday, February 17, 2006

ONCE...decision making

It's not easy to make decision. Especially, when the time is too short to think, pressure is high, expectations mounting and perhaps, no-one to refer to at that time. Ability to decide, is one of the most important criteria in Leaders. Some other criterias are here.

My mentor once told me, "99% perspiration for 1% inspiration". 99% of our time, we need to prepare ourselves for the 1% chance or opportunity. The opportunity may come whenever He likes, and most of the time, when we lease expect it. But, if we have prepared ourselves (99%), when that 1% opportunity rise, we shouldn't think twice anymore to grab it. The same opportunity doesn't come twice! And it doesn't wait for us neither. Either we're up for it (meaning we've prepared 99%) or we're not (no preparation or perhaps less).

Someone pointed out to me that "...decision making: is the job of leaders, and leaders = THE BOSS!". Someone mentioned to me before that Boss and Leader is not the same. Leaders could be the boss, but the boss may not necessarily be a leader. I choose to be a leader..and still learning to be a good leader. In my readings, "..a leader is a good leader when he/she can groom more leaders." To groom more leaders...they must be able to decide! He/she will be groomed when he/she has all the necessary skills and characteristic or potentials to be a good leader. My grooming style, to make them, to be able to make decision. Bad decision..? Learn from it and move on. But, they will always be asked to make decision. And decision making it is, for them to make!

The decision doesn't have to be popular! It doesn't have to be the same with mine! It doesn't have to be in haste! But, it must be made timely! It must be made! Even if the decision is "..i can't decide now. I need x more times.", decision has to be made. Refusing to decide and be dumb doesn't gel nicely with me..provoking or retaliate ? I may take it as, "don't groom me...i don't like your grooming style" or "i don't wanna be your type of leaders" or "...don't wanna be your chosen ones.." or "..u're not a good leader after all, what makes u think u're the best person to groom me..?" or what..?!! Emotional..? hmm...when we hoped, a lot if not so much, then dissappointed..isn't it obvious that we'll be emotional ? Let's just hope, that I can be rational again...and perhaps, able to provide another opportunity to the chosen ones.

In one of my mentor's book, about Mentoring, is that both the mentor and mentee must have an understanding and agreement that the mentee agreed to be mentored by the mentor. I can't recall whether I've seek that agreement or not. But looking at mine and my mentor, it's me who asked him (which I think why he bought that book). In the same organization..? Does the employee (mentee) asked the potential mentor (boss, manager, senior ? ...leaders basically) or the leader itself, does it..and we felt like being mentored ?

For now, I chose my successor(s), I chose who I wanna groom..and I may or may not tell him/her about my intention. It'd be up to him/her to think, evaluate and then decide. And then again, up to me to think, evaluate and decide based on the performance and also acceptance/resistance on my intention.

No comments: